Author Interview

Interview with Crystal Maldonado author of Fat Chance Charlie Vega


Hello peeps!! Today I'm here with a special guest Crystal Maldonado who's debut novel is fat chance charlie vega. This book is released on 2nd February 2021. I'm thankful to Hear Our Voices for giving me a chance to interview the author!! So let's dig into the interview!! 

*******************************************
*******************************************

1. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I was in the third grade when I realized I really loved writing and I wanted to do it more often, but it probably wasn’t until I was in high school that I decided I wanted to be an author. Back then, I was writing boy band fanfiction with friends just for fun, but I knew I absolutely loved the art of creating stories. I probably worked on my stories every single night!

 
2. What was your inspiration behind this book ?
This book was very much inspired by my real life and my experience growing up as a fat, Puerto Rican girl. Like Charlie, I was also obsessed with books and writing and I wanted to find love so, so badly. More than anything, though, I wanted to write a book that featured a character that looked like me. I read a lot when I was a teenager, but I never felt like I got to see characters that shared the same physical traits as me, even though I know there are plenty of us out there. So, this has really been a dream come true!

 
3. How did you research and plot your characters and story?
Most of my research came right from reading. I read a lot of other YA books, like “Dumplin’” by Julie Murphy, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” by Jenny Han, “The Sun Is Also A Star” by Nicola Yoon — basically, a lot of YA books that featured love! To me, it was really important to read other authors to see how they structured their books and discover what might work for me and try to make it my own.

 
4. What are your favourite books?
One of my all-time favorites is “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros. I read this book in college and fell in love, and I revisit it often. I’m also obsessed with anything written by Jenny Hen and Julie Murphy, and my newest favorite is “Cemetery Boys” by Aiden Thomas. So good!

 
5. What is your work schedule when you are writing ?
I write best in the mornings, so I try to do that whenever I can. It can be tough because I love to sleep and I also work full time, but weekend mornings have been my best friend! Sometimes, though, I don’t have the ability to write in the mornings, so I’ll sneak in some writing whenever I can — lunch breaks, after my toddler is in bed, that kind of thing. I’ve also made some incredible author friends who host writing sprints, and having scheduled times to write with them has been so much fun and also helped keep me on track.

 
6. Lastly, What message you wish to convey to your readers ?
I really hope readers finish this book and feel a sense of warmth and understanding, like they matter, and that they deserve wonderful things — because they do.

****************************************************************************************

Author Profile : -


Crystal Maldonado is a young adult author with a lot of feelings. Her debut novel, FAT
CHANCE, CHARLIE VEGA (Holiday House), is released on Feb 2, 2021.
By day, she is a social media manager working in higher ed, and by night, a writer who loves Beyoncé, shopping, the internet, and being extra. She lives in western Massachusetts with her husband, daughter, and dog. 

****************************************************************************************

About Fat Chance, Charlie Vega


Publisher: Penguin Random House
Release Date: February 2, 2021
Genre: YA Fiction

Book Info:
Coming of age as a Fat brown girl in a white Connecticut suburb is hard.
Harder when your whole life is on fire, though.
Charlie Vega is a lot of things. Smart. Funny. Artistic. Ambitious. Fat.
People sometimes have a problem with that last one. Especially her mom. Charlie wants a good relationship with her body, but it's hard, and her mom leaving a billion weight loss shakes on her dresser doesn't help. The world and everyone in it have ideas about what she should look like: thinner, lighter, slimmer-faced, straighter-haired. Be smaller. Be whiter. Be quieter. 
But there's one person who's always in Charlie's corner: her best friend Amelia. Slim. Popular. Athletic. Totally dope. So when Charlie starts a tentative relationship with cute classmate Brian, the first worthwhile guy to notice her, everything is perfect until she learns one thing he asked Amelia out first. So is she his second choice or what? Does he even really see her? UGHHH. Everything is now officially a MESS. 
A sensitive, funny, and painful coming-of-age story with a wry voice and tons of chisme,
Fat Chance, Charlie Vega tackles our relationships to our parents, our bodies, our cultures, and ourselves. 

Grab your copy from : -

|Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Bookshop.org|

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review

FAITH & BELOVED BY KOCHERY C SHIBU

Book Review

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *