Author Interview

 Interview with Erika J. Kendrick author of Squad Goals!!

Hello guys !! Today I'm here with Erika, the author of middle grade book 'Squad Goals'. This book will be released on 6th April 2021. I'm thankful to Hear Our Voices for giving me a chance to interview the author!! So let's get started!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Hello!! Erika how have you been?
I’m doing really well, feeling a mix of excitement and serious nerves. Waiting for a book to drop on pub day is similar to waiting for a professor to return the midterm when you know you studied, even made index cards, and quizzed yourself… lol. Yeah, something like that. Magic Olive Poindexter had a big book birthday party complete with balloons, streamers, and vegan cake and ice cream – and of course, Twizzlers! So, I’d say I’m feeling relieved that my baby is finally out in the world and I did my absolute best on that exam.

2. What have you been reading lately and what are some of your anticipated releases this year?
I’ve been on a Tiffany D. Jackson kick lately, so I’ve read Grown, Allegedly, and now I’m reading Monday’s Not Coming. And keeping with that theme of obsessing over my fave YA author, I’m really looking forward to her new drop for the holidays, Santa’s Not Coming.

3. If you could describe Squad Goals in 4 words, what would they be?
My four words for my fave middle grade book would be 1) adorable, 2) sweet, 3) fun, and 4) the first! (I know that’s more than one word for the latter but with her next story already swimming around in my head… just had to put it out there ;)

4. What can people expect from this book?
People can expect a fabulously quirky, adorably awkward heroine who is determined to win at the game of life, even when she feels like she’s lost it all. The book explores managing family expectations, that first crushing crush, and an unexpected betrayal from a BFF and the ever-present frenemies. It’s a ride through the world of my favorite girl as she sets out to accomplish her big goals. It’ll dish the laughs, the sighs, and maybe even a few sweet cries. People can expect to fall in love. I still do, you probs will too.

5. What inspired you to write this story?
I’ve always had a soft spot for middle grade. In one of my past lives, I taught ninth grade and I remember always wanting to hang with the girls in 6th, 7th, or 8th grade. There’s just something about those precious moments when they discover their voices and start to become their authentic selves. I believe we start becoming at this age: cultivating our interests, our friend groups, and yep, our supercrushes too (b.t.dubs, mine was Reginald Thomas). Shining a light on this demographic’s challenges feels organic, especially as they’re being exposed to so much more than I was at that age. Writing a story where they can see themselves reflected on the pages as they begin to deal with the big “stuff” like losing a parent, divorce, friendship heartbreak… it all seemed second nature to me. At the time, there was nothing else I wanted to write except their stories, and I’ve been obsessed ever since.
Magic’s journey has resonated with me for over a decade, developing texture and nuance with each pirouette and toe touch along the way. She is a familiar character; one I’ve had the honor of knowing, and the challenge of being, at various stops on my own journey. I was that quirky kid who felt like she couldn’t find her place only to grow up and become a NBA cheerleader with a spot on the big court with the shiny poms and sequined uniform. It all works out in the end; sometimes, like Magic Olive Poindexter, we just have to begin.

6. What are a few things you wish you knew about publishing before venturing into the industry?
Love this question! I guess I wish I would’ve known that I’d spend a ton of time touring and speaking in front of my target demographic. My first two novels were adult contemporary and when released, I toured and talked to tons of women. I’m challenged with anxiety, so this was always a serious “thing” for me - talking in front of my peers. However, I don’t have that same angst when I’m in front of middle grade kiddos, so needless to say, I prob would’ve been writing for this audience from the start had I understood the tour. The kids inspire me, motivate me to be better, and fill me with authentic joy.

7. How was writing and publishing a book in the midst of a pandemic like? Did this time bring any changes to your writing routine, style or anything else?
I’ve been writing and rewriting and re-re-rewriting Squad Goals for fifteen years so when the pandemic hit, it was nearing completion. In fact, I was in the final editing stages with my team at Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. I did obsess, however, about how the launch, the tour, and other logistical “stuff” would unfold. It’s turned into a Zoom world, which is fab for most writers, but I do wish I could spend that quality time with the kiddos in person to explore everything Magic with them. But like I said before, there’s always the next book and then the next one after that. So, keep a look out, and in the meantime, grab your squad and enjoy discovering your own Magic! And always remember that I love you… and I don’t have to know you to love you!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author Profile : -

Erika J. Kendrick is a national speaker, mental health advocate, and former NBA cheerleader. She is a Stanford University graduate with an MBA in marketing and international business from the University of Illinois. Squad Goals is her first middle-grade novel.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

About Squad Goals : -

Publisher : Little Brown and Co. Books for Young Readers
Release Date: April 6, 2021
Genre: Middle Grade Fiction

Book Info:
Camp is in session in this cheer-tastic middle-grade novel about making new friends,
finding your place, and learning to embrace your inner Magic.
Magic Olive Poindexter has big shoes to fill. Her mother was a professional cheerleader,
her father is a retired NBA legend, her big sister is the new face of the oh-so-glamorous
Laker Girls, and her grandmother was the first black cheerleader ever on Valentine
Middle School's HoneyBee cheer squad. Magic wants nothing more than to follow in
their footsteps. But first, she has to survive Planet Pom Poms, the summer cheer camp
where she'll audition for a spot on the HoneyBee squad. But with zero athletic ability
and a group of mean girls who have her number, Tragic Magic is a long way from
becoming the toe-touching cheerleader heroine she dreams of being.
Things start to look up when her best friend Cappie joins her at camp--until Cappie gets
bitten by the popularity bug, that is. To make matters worse, Magic's crushing hard on
football star Dallas Chase. Luckily, Magic's not alone: with the help of a new crew of
fabulous fellow misfits and her Grammy Mae's vintage pom poms by her side, Tragic
Magic might just survive--and even thrive--at cheer camp.

Grab Your Copy from : - 
Amazon & Barnes and Noble 

Thanks for reading!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review

FAITH & BELOVED BY KOCHERY C SHIBU

Book Review

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *